Hector's Smoke House Championship BBQ TeamHome of BBQ recipes, food blogs, reviews and photos
Instant read BBQ thermometers are probably my no.1 tool for successful grilling. I’ve only been using them since 2013 but they have transformed the way I cook and have also transformed my results.
I was always taught to cook for a certain amount of time but too often, the food would either end up over or under cooked. The key to successful cooking is the end temperature, not the cooking temp and time. Getting perfect chicken every time is very difficult. Perfect Chicken has to be cooked to 165F, at this temp it is perfect. Any lower than this it may make you ill and much higher, the meat tends to dry out. The same applies to steak, brisket, pork and all other proteins. So make sure you buy a BBQ Thermometer as one of your first buys.
We use ours on the BBQ but also use it in the kitchen; this is our ‘go to’ gadget!
The Maverick PT100
The Maverick can be bought from BBQs Plus from all over Australia. Click the link or image to buy.
· Commercial Grade Thermometer with NSF approval
· Type K Thermocouple with integral stainless precision micro tip probe
· Water & Dust resistant to IP44
· Shock resistant against multiple 3′ drops onto concrete floor
· High Contrast LCD with Big .5″ Backlit Blue-White Digits on Black Display
· Temperature range:
-40F (-40C) – 450F (230C)
· 100% Factory Calibration Certificate included guarantees performance & accuracy to NIST standards
· Dimensions closed: 7.4″ x 2.2″ x .7″
· Probe length: 5″
· Auto Power Save after 5 minutes of inactivity
· Unit turns ON/OFF automatically when the probe is pivoted
· LCD Resolution is: .1C/.1F
· Low battery indicator
· Selectable Fahrenheit or Celsius
· Handy Cooking Chart on body
The Super-Fast Thermapen is a professional tool (originally designed for commercial kitchens, labs and manufacturing plants) that has become the top consumer cooking thermometer for home use. Its popularity among celebrity chefs, cooking magazines, top foodies, bloggers and competition BBQ teams has made the Thermapen into an essential tool in the best-equipped home kitchens and backyard BBQ rigs. I’ve bought these from Amazon in the UK, search for Thermapen
High accuracy to ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)
°F to °C reconfigurable
Auto on/off-no buttons!
1,500 hour battery life